Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sunday Dinner: Remembering Grandmother

Grandmother Rodgers
This morning in church, the last couple of songs were old hymns, "How Great Thou Art" and "Amazing Grace." As I listened to the words, I couldn't help but smile remembering my grandmother. These were two of her favorite hymns and she always sang them just a little louder, which meant a little shriller - she wasn't known for her singing voice.

We always sat in the third pew from the front, on the right side facing the pulpit. Grandmother was not a back row Baptist. At some point during the sermon she would reach over and give me a starlight mint. I would unwrap it careful not to let the paper crinkle. Sometimes I would listen to the sermon, but I spent more time studying the stained glass windows.

After church, we would walk the three blocks to Grandmother's house. My Mom would be there finishing Sunday dinner. Grandmother and Mom worked in sync with one another making the final preparations.

Today is my Grandmother's birthday. She would have been 95.

No comments:

Post a Comment