Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Preparing for Sunday Dinner

As I walked into the grocery store yesterday, I had a mental picture of my Mom and Grandmother. My Grandmother never learned to drive so it was my Mom's duty to take her grocery shopping every week. And here I was years later doing the exact same thing, except I was alone and missing both of them terribly.

I planned to visit my aunt Doris (Grandmother's daughter and Mom's sister) later that day and I knew that she would really appreciate Grandmother's applesauce cake. Sometimes it is just nice to have a little taste of something your Mama used to make. And she squealed with delight when she saw what I brought her. I'm not sure if she was more excited about the cake or that I had brought Daniel with me.

For me it isn't Christmas without  Grandmother's applesauce cake so I'll make one for my family to enjoy Christmas Day.

When I was a kid, we always had to go to Community Cash on Saturday mornings. Grandmother and Mom had their preferred stores and rarely deviated from them. Groceries always came from Community Cash.

In the 70s, there were bagboys for every register. They would load your groceries up and carry them to your car. Most of the young men were extremely courteous and talkative, but that may have been my Mom, she talked to everyone. It used to embarrass me terribly, but of course I find myself doing the same thing.

This Sunday I am taking it easy before all of the Christmas crazy. We're having baked ziti, a salad, and my sister-in-law is bringing dessert.

This is the only Sunday this month we won't be celebrating a birthday. Next week will be my little brother Dennis and the following week his wife, Danielle.

No comments:

Post a Comment