Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Sunday Dinner: Happy Mother's Day and Lime Poundcake with Strawberry Sauce

My brother's birthday is at the end of April. Our family loves to give funny cards. I walked into the card store just like I did every year, but this time it was different. There were signs, banners, and displays all proclaiming Mother's Day. It would be our first without her. I turned around and walked out. Even though I was a mother, I hated Mother's Day that year and for several years afterwards. I still avoid card shops at this time of year.

My mother always cooked Sunday dinner at my grandmother's house and Mother's Day was just like any other Sunday. One year my brothers sent all of the women out of the kitchen after dinner. They proceeded to wash, dry, and put away all the dishes. They made our mother go sit and enjoy herself. And of course she was proud of her little boys for being so kind and considerate.

Sunflowers were one of my Mom's favorite flowers so when I saw these today, I knew they were right to mark the occasion. There is just something about fresh flowers.

My mother loved to cook and desserts were always her specialty. A couple of weeks ago I came across this recipe for a Lime Poundcake with Strawberry Sauce over on Southern Belle View. I couldn't wait to try it. My biggest obstacle turned out to be finding the Betty Crocker Poundcake mix that is used as the base for the recipe. I had to go to three grocery stores so I hope you have a better luck than I did.

As the cake baked, the house smelled wonderful. The strawberry sauce is a nice blend of tart and sweet. My niece preferred her strawberries whole and added a dollop of whipped cream so you may want to try that too. So if you want to try a great recipe, hop on over to Southern Belle View and give it a try. I promise that you will enjoy it.

With my Grandmother and Mom. I miss them both so much. Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there. Motherhood is one of the greatest blessings of a woman's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment