Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Write Now: Twitter

I must confess that in the beginning the thought of being limited to 140 characters was constricting. How can you say what you want to say in 140 characters? And keep in mind that spaces and punctuation are considered characters. And what is a hashtag? Who really reads these messages?

I joined Twitter and sent out a few tweets, but I really didn't know what I was doing or understand the possibilities until I took a class. Hub City was offering a class on social networking and I joined the crowd of novices. I didn't feel too bad since everyone looked as confused as I was.

But I went home with all my notes and got to work. I started following my friends and family first. Then I started following authors I admire whose work I enjoy. I follow a variety of people and companies now. Last week I retweeted Penguin for the opportunity to win Catherine Coulter's latest book Back Fire. Later that day I received a DM (direct message) from Penguin saying that I had won. WooHoo.

I've also connected with some really fabulous authors: Kimberly Brock, Wiley Cash, MaryBeth Whalen, Jennifer Weiner, Emily Griffin, and Beth Revis just to name a few. Trust me there are many more.

I saw where Wiley Cash was not impressed with the hotdog he was served while traveling so I hope next time he gets to Spartanburg that he will check out Ike's, a local establishment my grandparents opened many years ago. They still serve chili made with my Grandmother's recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment