Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Widow's Walk: Letters

One thing I am sorry to see go is handwritten letters. Texts and emails are nice, but I love looking at letters written by people.

By my mother, I have a recipe that she'd scrawled across the back of an old note. It gives me comfort seeing her words.

By my grandmother, her writing was a little smaller, more precise, not as curly as my mother's. Hers is more like mine. She said her teachers used to fuss at her about her penmanship and I can't understand why. I love looking through her Bible - seeing the passages she's underlined and the notes she's made out to the side.

I have random notes of Mike's. And occasionally while going through boxes and papers, I'll come across something. They aren't important because of what they say, but because of who wrote them.

A few months ago, I found a five year journal. Trying to keep up a daily journal is a bit daunting and you tend to write the same things over and over again. I like the five year journal. There are five lines for each year on each page and a place to indicate the year. I hope one day that journal will mean something to my grandchildren - an unofficial record of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment