Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Write Now: Favorite Characters

This past week has had several revelations in my novel in progress. I killed one of my main characters. She was taking over and the story wasn't hers to tell. The only way to silence her was through death, but of course she is still there - it is her death that now catapults the main character into the action. And now loose ends that were just dangling have purpose.

But as I was writing the death scene, I remember reading the Harry Potter series particularly the scene where Dumbledore is killed. I did get misty eyed and yes I know this was just a fictional character, but often fictional characters do become larger than life. I got to thinking about some of my favorite characters from novels I've read:

Hermione from Harry Potter
Frances Mae from Dorothea Benton Frank's novels
Damascus from Kimberly Brock's The River Witch
Sunny from Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer
Ellen Foster by Kay Gibbons
Serena by Ron Rash (That is one bad girl)
Lady Brett Ashley from Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises

This list is just a snippet because I could go on and on and on. Characterization is one of my favorite parts of a novel. I would love to know who some of your favorite characters are.

No comments:

Post a Comment