Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Ya Gotta Have Friends!

The weekend did not get off to a great start. I was lonely and feeling sorry for myself. Friday night I sat at home and watched television. Well, I didn't really watch it, but it was on. I spent most of the evening thinking about Mike and how we would spend Friday evenings out on the porch talking until the wee hours of the morning. You would think that we would run out of things to say, but we didn't. And Mike was an unusual man. He actually liked to talk. I miss the way he would smile at me.

Saturday morning my daughter and I went shopping. She has been working so hard and going to school so I decided to treat her to a shopping excursion. It was so much more fun than when she was a teenager. She even liked a shirt that I picked out for her. Such a drastic change from three years ago, when I wasn't cool and my taste was horrible. Later we had lunch with my best friend and her daughter. 

We went to see the chick flick, Julie and Julia. It was a cute movie. There was a little crude language, but it was actually refreshing to see a movie that depicts two pretty good marriages. You saw the tough times as well as the good.

That evening some of Mike's friends (well they are mine too, but Mike introduced us) came over for dinner. We had lasagna, salad, and chocolate cake. And then we played Apples to Apples. The only thing missing was Mike. He would have loved it.

Sunday night our small group finally got together after a hiatus for the summer. It was so nice to see everyone again. I have missed them so much. Technically, I am the only single person there, but they continue to welcome me with open arms. 

All of these friends have been such a vital part of my life. My friend Lisa has been with me for thirty-seven years. We grew up together. And then there are the friends that I was blessed with through my marriage to Mike. I appreciate each one of them so much.

I thank God for the wonderful friends that he has brought into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment