Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2009

I Believe in Miracles

We've been doing the Priscilla Shirer's One in a Million study. It has been a wonderful experience and I have been learning so much.

In one of the lessons last week, the question was about miracles. Two of the answers were: God only did miracles in the Bible, and miracles are only for other people. It wasn't that long ago that I thought this was true. And yes, I do realize that they are in conflict of one another. But I did think that most of God's miracles had been performed in the Bible and the few that he still chose were done for "worthy" people.

On that fateful day in March while Mike and I sat in the doctor's office and essentially said a miracle was needed, well, let's just say that I didn't have much hope. And then things began to change. Everything that I read or saw was talking about miracles. There was a little glimmer of hope, but I have always considered myself to be a realist. My way of dealing with hard times is to acknowledge the possibility of the worse case scenario and then hope for the best. Back then, I did much more bracing myself for the worst. But like I said, everything I saw was giving me hope.

One day in the hospital, we met a chaplain. She had come to pray for Mike at my request. She spoke of healing and I countered with what about God's word? Her response was "God's will, it will be done, but it doesn't hurt to let him know what you want." And with those simple words, I had hope. And after that, everything that seemed to come my way spoke of modern day miracles. Mike went into remission — it was a miracle.

One day as Mike spoke to someone about his miracle, the man asked "but what if your cancer comes back? Did you really receive a miracle?" Mike's replied, "Everyday is a miracle for me. I'm not supposed to be here. According to the doctors, I should have died in April, but I didn't. That is a miracle that I live everyday. And one day, this disease will probably take my life, but he gave me more time than modern medicine says that I should have." And then Mike pulled out a copy of his ct cans. The first shows his cancer stricken body while the second shows his cancer free body. But one thing I really remember was the doctor's face when he saw the scans that very first day. I watched as he double checked the name and the information. He went back and forth across several screens of his computer reviewing and searching.

I asked this doctor later had he ever seen anything like what Mike went through. He told me he had seen miracles before. But in a case like Mike's; he had never seen anything like it. Whenever we would go in for Mike's checkups, his main prescription was simple - PRAY.

So my new answer in the study was, I have really experienced a miracle in my life. I believe in miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment