Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Wave

They say that there are 5 stages of grief. They are denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

Those may be the 5 stages, but they aren't methodical. They aren't neat. They don't follow a path. You don't simply move from one stage to the next in a neat and orderly fashion. Some days you may encounter each and every one of them. Grieving is a complex process.

Not long ago as I was standing in line at a store, I heard a familiar twinkle. It was the ringtone that I had designated for my husband. For a moment my mind forgot as I searched through my purse for my phone. My heartbeat quickened and the butterflies stirred just like they used to in anticipation. And then reality set in as another woman answered her phone.

Those are the moments that reach out and beat you down. You're going along just fine - just an ordinary day and the next thing you know, you're sitting in your car having a good cry because you know that he can never call you again.

To me, grief is like a wave. You're never quite sure what the next one will bring.

The Wave

© 2009 by Connie T. Kuhn

Sometimes the wave is angry,

Overwhelming and consuming,

A wretched reminder of what was lost.

Other times the wave is gentle,

Gratifying and gracious,

A blessed reminder of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment