Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Good-Bye Harry

This weekend was sad because I said good-bye to Harry. I was first introduced to Harry in 2001. My nephew had just returned from the movie proclaiming it to be the best movie he had ever seen that was made from a book. My nephew was only five at the time. This was also about the time all the controversy began about a young boy who was a wizard featured in a book. Many people proclaimed that they would never let their child read such a book.

I was curious so I read the book and then watched the movie. I continued to wonder what the big deal was about the controversy. Good ultimately triumphs evil. You see this in most fairytales and children's books. The second book came out and I read it. I enjoyed watching Harry, Hermione and Ron growing up and battling the one who should not be named.

I was never one of the ravenous fans waiting impatiently at midnight to get my hands on the next edition. I patiently waited until the following morning and yes they still had copies. Days and weeks later, there continued to be many copies sitting on shelves, tables, and anywhere the local bookstore could place them.

Harry fights valiantly. Hermione and Ron are a couple. Lives are lost on each side of the battle. A reputation is cleared and redeemed. Questions are answered and then in the end we get to meet Harry and his friends 19 years later and see a glimpse of what has been going on in their lives.

As I listened to other theatre patrons speculate on what would happen in the next movie, I couldn't help but laugh. If you've read the books - you know it is the end. J.K. Rowling continues to proclaim that is the end of the Potter series although she is said to be behind a new Potter website that is about to debut.

Is it truly the end? Only time will tell. Should we tell Harry good-bye or maybe see you soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment