Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

In Laws

            On Sunday, I got to visit my in laws. It is the first time that I have seen them in several months. Shortly after Mike passed away, they were offered the chance to do some mission work in Africa. They had been asked earlier, but had turned the opportunity down due to Mike’s illness. I missed them, but I also know that it would offer them healing. Africa has long held a piece of their heart as it did with Mike. What better way to remember him than by being at a place that he so dearly loved?

            As I walked into their home, I was immediately greeted and hugged by Mom. We held each other for a moment. I didn’t want to let her go. They brought me back a little bit of Africa, placemats and a breadbasket all in Mike’s favorite color – blue. They also gave me a picture. It is an African silhouette formed with butterfly wings.

            We chatted about the rest of the family and what everyone has been doing. One daughter is on vacation. Their granddaughter just got a job teaching. They had a nice trip with their other daughter and came to visit Mike’s grave. It was the first time they had seen the headstone.

It is nice to have them back in the states and know that they are only a short drive away. So many people complain about their in laws. Mine are a wonderful blessing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment