Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday Dinner: Elizabeth's Chocolate Chip Pound Cake

Elizabeth is carrying on the family tradition. At twelve, she's just beginning to learn to cook and like most little girls she loves to make sweet treats.

Elizabeth is wearing an Ike's shirt that my Mom bought her when she was only a year old. At twelve, it finally fits her. For those of you who may or may not know, Ike's Korner Grill is the family restaurant my grandparents began years ago when their children were still small. My cousin still runs it today. If you're in Spartanburg, SC and looking for a great hamburger, it is still the place to go. They also serve hot dogs with Grandmother Rodger's legendary chili, and of course there is always the fried bologna sandwich. Ike's was recently featured in Southern Homes and Gardens magazine. My grandmother would have been so tickled.

The first thing my mother taught me to bake was a cake. It was so much fun learning the correct way to crack an egg, measure the ingredients, and then put them all together blending them with an electric hand mixer. Mom guided me step by step allowing me to do it all by myself. Cooking for family is a way of expressing love.

Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
• 1 box yellow cake mix (non butter recipe)
• 1 large package of chocolate pudding
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 3/4 cup water
• 3/4 cup vegetable oil
• 4 eggs beaten
• 1 cup sour cream (8oz)
• 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Mix together. Bake at 325° for 50 to 60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment