Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday Dinner: Fried Chicken

Every respectable Southern cook knows how to make fried chicken. I have found that my family's preference is chicken nuggets. I usually buy boneless chicken breasts and cut them into pieces.

Then I let them sit in a mixture of egg and milk for a few minutes. I take them from their milk bath and coat them with a mixture of flour, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. I like to put mine in a bowl with a lid and shake them up for a minute, and I can't help but think of that annoying little girl who used to say "It's shake and bake and I helped."

For extra crispy chicken, drop the pieces back in the milk bath and do it all over again. Once the chicken is thoroughly coated drop them in a skillet of hot oil. I usually cook mine on medium high. Be sure to cover with a lid (this keeps the chicken moist). Cook until golden brown and then serve.

My kids always tease me saying I make the best chicken for somebody who doesn't eat it. I've tried, but I just don't like it. I don't know why. And while we're on the subject of picky eaters, my niece and nephew (ages 12 and 10) politely stuck their noses up at it and asked for the frozen chicken nuggets I keep on hand just in case they don't like the entree.

No comments:

Post a Comment