Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Sunday Dinner: Hamburger Steak with Mushroom Gravy

Every week without fail there were certain things at Grandmother's house you could always count on: mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese (or macaroni pie as she called it), corn, green beans, cornbread and biscuits. After all with such a big family to feed, bread was filling. The meat and dessert varied and other side dishes were added depending on the season or Grandmother's preference. She made salmon patties once that had my very pregnant sister in law tossing her cookies before lunch was even served. After that she saved salmon patties for a lunch meal during the week.

So how to I decide each week what I am cooking? Part of it is my own preference and the other part is what is on sale at the grocery store. Roasts are easy because I can put it in the crockpot before church and it is ready by noon. Ground beef is on sale this weekend so it will be my Mom's hamburger steak with mushroom gravy.

You will need ground beef, butter, worcestershire sauce, and 1 to 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup.
Make the hamburger patties. We usually make them medium size. Add butter and worcestershire sauce to a frying pan, cook on medium high until done. If you cover the meat while cooking, it makes it more tender. Remove the patties from the frying pan and add the cream of mushroom soup to the drippings. Stir until warm, you can add some milk to thin it. I didn't mention seasoning, but Mom always used garlic salt and pepper sprinkled over each patty while cooking. This is definitely a favorite with my family and it is pretty easy to make.

I may look tomorrow to see if I can find some fresh okra, which is another family favorite. I'll save that recipe for later, maybe next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment